In this short tutorial, you’ll learn how to create a simple Pivot Table in a couple of steps. With the help of the wizard feature, Excel will actually walk you through the essential steps to build a Pivot Table from scratch.
- Open the excel file with the table or range containing the data that you want to include in the pivot table.
- Go to Data>pivot table and Pivot Chart Report and select it.
- The “Pivot Table and Pivot Chart Wizard” pop up window will appear next. Under “Where is the data that you want to analyze” click on “Microsoft Office Excel list or database.” Next, click the Pivot Table option under “What kind of report do you want to create?” and click Next.
- Now you need to select the data area that you want to include in the pivot table, so highlight the range of data or the table and click Next.
- Finally, click on the option to create the new pivot table in a new spreadsheet within the workbook and click Finish.
Now you will see the fields where you are going to actually click and drop the items that you want to include in the pivot table. From the “pivot table Field List” window you can select each item and drag it to the “Drop Items” areas to build the table. This is the step where most of you get frustrated but you just have to start clicking, dragging and dropping until you have the view that actually satisfies your needs – there is no right or wrong way of doing this, you can always click the undo button, so drag and drop until you have the table that meets your specific requirements.
Well Done! Now in the next tutorial, I will show you how to auto format your newly created pivot table in a couple of seconds.